Welcome to Codette!
Upon taking up residence in a new community, one often finds there are a number of laws and rules which differ from those of the last community. Following are some of the things you may find useful:
- The Village Office is located in the R.M. of Nipawin No. 487 Office.
The current Council was elected for a 4 year term in 2012
Mayor: Kevin Hess: (306) 862-9338 (h) (306) 862-8781 (w)
- Bonnie Haveroen: (306) 862-9378 (h)
- Sid Stasiuk: (306) 862-9661 (h) (306) 862-3161 (w)
- Charlene Prochner: (306) 862-2615 (h) (306) 862-3333 (w)
- Jennifer Wildeman: (306) 862-4227 (h) (306) 862-3979 (w)
- Village Clerk - Eunice Rudy, 862-9551
- The Village is policed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Nipawin Detachment
119 Nipawin Road East
- Emergency Phone Number 911 - this number handles Ambulance, Fire, and Police
- If you are moving into a house you will want:
Power 301 - 1st Ave. East, Nipawin Phone 1-888-757-6937
- Speed Limits are 50 km/hr unless otherwise posted; School Zone 30 km/hr
- If you own a dog, regardless of size, it must be licensed annually; $30.00 for male or female; $10.00 if spayed or neutered. Dogs are NOT allowed to run at large - if your dog is missing call the Honeywood Veterinary (Village Pound) 862-4488.
If you spot dogs running-at-large, please phone the Dog Catcher, Ken Snaith at (306) 862-7587.
- The Village has a ‘Noise Bylaw’ which restricts loud or unnecessary noise between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. on weekdays and between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. on weekends and holidays. The bylaw states that dog owners shall NOT allow their dog to bark or howl excessively.
- A building permit is required in advance for new structures, extensions and renovations. Permits are available at the Village Office.
- Garbage and Recycling are picked up on alternating Wednesdays. Please have your bins out by 8:00 a.m. Contact the Village Office for a pick-up schedule or for a brochure on the recycling program.
- Property Taxes are payable commencing January 1st each year. Discounts allowed are 4% in January, 3% in February, 2% in March, & 1% in April. Commencing August 1st of each year a 1% penalty per month begins accumulating on unpaid current taxes. Tax payments made prior to mailing of the tax notices are calculated on the basis of the previous year’s levy. Partial payments on taxes are acceptable.
- Tax payments can be made on the Internet using the electronic bill payment system.
- Sewer charges for the year 2015 are $33.00 per month. Sewer bills are sent to property owners once a year, along with the annual tax notice. Unpaid sewer accounts are added to the tax roll and become subject to a penalty calculated at 10%. Partial payments on sewer accounts are acceptable.
- The Codette Rink, located on Railway Avenue offers outdoor skating. For rentals call Ruth Mark at (306) 812-9024. The Rink is operated by a Rink Board. If you are interested in being involved on this Board please call Eunice at the Village Office.
- Codette has an active Seniors Activity Centre, located on Wylie Cres.
Activities at the Centre include:
- Coffee & Cards: Monday - Saturday 9:00 a.m. We are willing to teach
- Monthly Meeting: 1st Thursday of the month
- Senior’s Wellness Clinic: 2nd Wednesday of the month 1:30 p.m.
- Shuffleboard: 2nd Thursday of the month
- Activity Day - Whist: 2nd Thursday of the month
- Supper & Dance: Last Wednesday of the month. Doors open at 5:00 p.m., supper at 6:00 p.m. with dance to follow.
Marilyn Ens (306) 862-9729
Bill & Elaine Walter (306) 862-9760
Fred & Dorothy Reed (306) 862-9326